Image Map

Friday, April 10, 2015

POETRY MONTH

I know Shel Silverstein is one of my favorite poets EVER.  I remember reading "Where the Sidewalk Ends" all the time!!!!!  Here is a link to some learning resources to use with his awesome poetry.  There are many downloadable resources that you can use.  I don't know about you but I need to do a better job of teaching/using poetry all year long!  There is even a Common Core aligned teaching guide.  It is also the 50th Anniversary of "The Giving Tree".  Remember, Earth Day is coming up soon (April 22nd).

Here is a blog that I found on a Poetry Month Bloghop on FB.  It is Literacy Loving Gals.  She has different links to many poetry sites & resources.  The bloghop was started by Carla at Comprehension Connection.  Here is an awesome article that I found on Reading Rockets that has many links for you to use.

I got the following from www.shelsilverstein.com:

     If you are a dreamer, come in,
If you are a dreamer,
A wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er,
A magic bean buyer…
Come in…for where the sidewalk ends, Shel Silverstein's world begins. You'll meet a boy who turns into a TV set, and a girl who eats a whale. The Unicorn and the Bloath live there, and so does Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout who will not take the garbage out. It is a place where you wash your shadow and plant diamond gardens, a place where shoes fly, sisters are auctioned off, and crocodiles go to the dentist.


Let's use the poetry we grew up on along with Common Core.  Times change but some things don't have to.

~Susan~

No comments:

Post a Comment