Image Map

Monday, February 10, 2014

A Tad bit of Organization

Most people that know me know that I am not an organized person.  I am getting better but I am also still a work in progress!  Here are 3 examples in how I am trying to get organized.  If you have any ideas, please comment on them here with your blog (if you have one).

LINE LEADERS/HELPERS:  I do not have helpers for every little task in the classroom.  This is how I do it and it seems to work rather well and the kids love to change the cards in the afternoon.  I laminate pink (girls) and yellow (boys) index cards.  I write their names on the cards after I laminate them (so I can reuse them again for next year).  The card on the left is the line leader.  The card on the right is the 2nd helper and the last card on the right is the caboose.  I do a boy and a girl that way I have my bathroom monitors for the rest of the day and I don't have to remember who I have/have not chosen.  They will help pass out papers, go to the office, etc.....


LUNCH CARDS/ATTENDANCE:  This chart is by my door.  When the students come in  they take their lunch cards (I laminate them on an index card so they will last all year) and put it in the basket.  This way I can look at the chart and see who is/is not here.  They are in ABC order based on their last names.  This is also the way they line up for P.E.  They know if they don't pull their card, they are marked absent.  I also use their cards from the basket to call on them during the day during lessons.  Three uses for one thing!!!!!!!!!!!  They also have a green, yellow, orange and red card in their numbered pocket.  This is what I use for behavior.  I got the card idea from Laura Candler and her Stop Light Management System.  I changed it just a little bit to fit my classroom.  If you notice, there are stars in their pockets too.  I ordered them from Really Good Stuff .  I use them for the restroom.  We take about 5 restroom breaks a day if not more.  My students know they are to go to the restroom when given the opportunity.  I know you can't control when you have to use the restroom but I also know that some students will abuse the privilege.  If they have to go at another time other than when we go as a class, they take their star out of their pocket and put it in the basket. 


UNIT RESOURCE TUBS:  I have a tub for each of the 6 units in our Reading Series (Reading Street).  It has the title of the unit.  (The example show in of Unit 4 because that is the unit we are currently on).  Each of the stories for that particular unit is listed.  Under each story, I have the genre, phonics skill, vocabulary strategy, comprehension skill, and comprehension strategy listed.  Inside the tub I have different colored file folders for each story.  They have everything in them that I will need for that week.  I will have a later post on what is inside the tubs.  That still needs to be more organized.


I hope you have enjoyed this little post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment