Image Map

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Math Investigations

I don't know the Math program that everyone uses but we use Math Investigations.  I have many parents that don't understand this NEW MATH.  They (including myself sometimes) want to help/teach their child the way they learned.  It is frustrating because there are not that many resources that I can find to help the parent understand the NEW MATH.  I am bound and determined that I am going to do this.

First let me start with Understanding the Common Core (What you need to know).  It gives a brief description and you can click on your state for more information.  Here is the link for Alabama.  Some more resources for understanding the Common Core are All Things Common Core: A Guide for Parents, and Education.com: A Parent's Guide.

Here is the link to the Investigations Home Page.  There is another link that I found (Math Investigations) that has links for students and teachers.  It gives the NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) strands, standards & expectations for each strand, contact information if you have any questions, and a list of the top 25 picture books that help meet the math standards.

I will go into a more in depth pursuit in the links for students and teachers.  First, the links for students.  Well, as I just found out, it doesn't go too much in depth.  I clicked the link and all it gave me was a list of 12 websites to help meet the standards.  Let's try the link for teachers.  Again, all it gives is a list of websites (25) to help teachers.  I guess that it does help to give links (for each strand) for the standards & expectations, ideas & worksheets, and Book Suggestions.  Some of the links for some strands do not work (ideas & worksheets, and Book Suggestions).

There was a link that I found on the Investigations Home Page where you can enter your email address to stay informed and up to date about curriculum, workshops, & receive a quarterly newsletter.  Here is a link to Curriculum by Grade Level and more specifically 2nd Grade since that is the grade I teach.  There is also a PDF you can download that gives you an overview of the curriculum for 2nd grade.

Again, I just wish they had everything in one place for parents.  I can see how they would get frustrated because all they want to do is help their child.

No comments:

Post a Comment